I am originally from the great city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where I
graduated from Central High School
and Temple University
(with a year studying abroad at the Universität Hamburg).
After college I attended graduate school at
The Ohio State
University and enjoyed postdoctoral fellowships as a Carnegie
Fellow at the
Observatories of the Carnegie Institution of Washington and as a Clay Fellow at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.
Here is my Academic Genealogy.
Astronomy 1142: Black Holes [Autumn 2014]
Astronomy 5830: Observed Properties of Stars and Galaxies [Autumn 2014]
Select Previous Courses
Astronomy 4194: Essential Radio Astronomy [May 2014]
Astronomy 1142: Black Holes [Spring 2014]
Astronomy 869: Observational Cosmology and Active Galactic Nuclei [Winter Quarter 2011]
Astronomy 161: Introduction to Solar System Astronomy [Winter Quarter 2012]
Astronomy 890: Astronomical Instrumentation [Spring Quarter 2008]
I also organize the Astronomy Department's Summer Undergraduate Research Program.
- Why does Low-Luminosity AGN Fueling Remain an Unsolved Problem?
- invited review in "The Interplay among Black Holes, Stars and ISM in Galactic Nuclei," Proc. IAU 222 (Gramado, Brazil), eds. Th. Storchi Bergmann, L.C. Ho, H.R. Schmitt, (Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press), 235 [pdf]
- QSO Lifetimes
- invited review in "Carnegie Observatories Astrophysics Series, Vol. 1: Coevolution of Black Holes and Galaxies," ed. L. C. Ho (Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press), 170 [pdf]
Select Recent Publications
Publications via ADS Library and arXiv.org
- Stellar Velocity Dispersion Measurements in High-Luminosity Quasar Hosts and Implications for the AGN Black Hole Mass Scale
- C.J. Grier, Paul Martini, L.C. Watson, B.M. Peterson et al. 2013, ApJ, 773, 90
[pdf | Video]
- The Origin of Dust in Early-Type Galaxies and Implications for Accretion onto Supermassive Black Holes
- Paul Martini, Daniel Dicken, and Thaisa Storchi-Bergmann 2013, ApJ, 766, 121
- The Cluster and Field Galaxy AGN Fraction at z = 1 to 1.5:
Evidence for a Reversal of the Local Anticorrelation Between
Environment and AGN Fraction
- Paul Martini, Eric Miller, Mark Brodwin, et al. 2013, ApJ, 768, 1
- The Mass-Metallicity Relation with the Direct Method on Stacked Spectra of SDSS Galaxies
- Brett Andrews and Paul Martini, 2013, ApJ, 765, 140
[pdf | Video]
- Useful Astronomical Data
- Mask Design Software: MMS for MODS and OMS for OSMOS
PhD Program in Astronomy at the Ohio State University
We offer a unique PhD program with a very strong emphasis on
have typically authored or co-authored 7-12 refereed journal articles by the
time they complete the program, in addition to numerous conference papers and
1st- and 2nd-year students are already active
publishing papers, attending
conferences, giving talks, going on observing runs, and working in
the instrument lab. Click
here for more information.