David M. Nataf
Graduate Student, Department of Astronomy, Ohio State University
Advisor: Andrew P. Gould
Expected Graduation Date: July 2012
M.Sc. The Ohio State University, Astronomy, 2010
B.Sc., McGill University, Joint Honours Mathematics and Physics, 2007
My research primarily on old stellar populations in the Milky Way, specifically the
Galactic bulge and the Galactic globular cluster system. For the Milky Way bulge, I am interested in its dynamics, its geometrical configuration, and the nature of its stellar population. Which stars have their orbits distributed as an X-shaped bulge, and which as a spheroid? What is the helium to metallicity enrichment ratio for the bulge stellar population?
I am currently working with Andrew P. Gould, Andrzej Udalski and Pascal Fouqué
to combine OGLE-III
VI photometry with 2MASS
JHK photometry and using techniques such as the Red Clump method,
to better understanding the nature and quantity of the foreground optical
reddening toward the Galactic bulge.
- Red Giant Branch Bump Brightness and Number Counts in 72 Galactic Globular Clusters Observed with the Hubble Space Telescope, Nataf, David M.; Gould, Andrew P.; Pinsonneault, Marc H.; Udalski, Andrzej, ADS:2011arXiv1109.2118N
- The Intrinsic Magnitude Dispersion of the Galactic Bulge Red Clump -- Implications for Bulge Structure and Formation, Nataf, D. M ;Udalski, A., ADS:2011arXiv1106.0005N
- The Gradients in the 47 Tuc Red Giant Branch Bump and Horizontal Branch are Consistent With a Centrally-Concentrated, Helium-Enriched Second Stellar Generation, Nataf, D. M.; Gould, A.; Pinsonneault, M. H.; Stetson, P.B., ADS:2011ApJ...736...94N
- OGLE-III Detection of the Anomalous Galactic Bulge Red Giant Branch Bump: Evidence of Enhanced Helium Enrichment, Nataf, D. M.; Udalski, A.; Gould, A.; Pinsonneault, M. H., 2011ApJ...730..118N
- HAT Discovery of 76 Bright Periodic Variables Toward the Galactic Bulge, Nataf, D.M.; Stanek, K.Z.; Bakos, G. A., ADS:2010AcA....60..261N
- The Split Red Clump of the Galactic Bulge from OGLE-III, Nataf, D.M.; Udalski, A.; Gould, A.; Fouqué, P.; Stanek, K.Z., 2010ApJ...721L..28N
- Finding the Brightest Galactic Bulge Microlensing Events with a Small Aperture Telescope and Image Subtraction, Nataf, D.M.; Stanek, K.Z.; Bakos, G. A., ADS:2009AcA....59..255N
Miscellany of Musings - My blog, mostly on science fiction in tv and film.
OSU Astronomy Department Home Page
Oklo Gregory Laughlin's blog on exoplanets, probably the best technical astronomy blog out there.
Exosolar An amazingly good-looking starmap of nearby exoplanets.
NASA conversion Utilities Good tool for coordinate conversions.
Charles's Stross blog Musings from the best sci-fi writer of our times.
Office: 4000 McPherson Lab
Department of Astronomy
The Ohio State University
140 West 18th Ave.
Columbus, OH 43210
Last modified 13 September 2011 by DMN