Astronomy 162: Professor Barbara Ryden
Monday, January 6
Much of the first lecture was devoted to covering the
material in the course syllabus.
MAIN CONCEPTS COVERED BY THE COURSE
(1) Structure and evolution of STARS
(2) Structure and evolution of GALAXIES
(3) Structure and evolution of the UNIVERSE
MAIN QUESTIONS ASKED DURING THE COURSE
(1) What do astronomers know?
(2) How have they learned it?
In other words, we'll learn not only some of the facts which
scientists have deduced, but also learn a little bit about
how science works.
The Astronomer's Motto:
LOOK BUT DON'T TOUCH.
Most of what astronomers know comes from gathering very faint light from
very distant sources.
Return to Week 1 Index
Prof. Barbara Ryden
Updated: 2003 Jan 6
Copyright © 2003, Barbara Ryden