This document lists sources consulted during preparation of the lectures,
sources of images and graphics (expanding the shorthands used in some
captions), and any other references. If I have missed something or made an
error, please help me to correct this list.
Introduction to Stars, Galaxies, & the Universe
Prof. Richard Pogge, MTWThF 9:30
Note that the references are being compiled as the quarter progresses.
... To Be Continued...
- Allen, C.W. 1976, Astrophysical Quantities 3rd Edition,
(University of London, Athlone Press).
- Berendzen, R., Hart, R., & Seeley, D. 1976, Man Discovers
the Galaxies, (SHP).
- Bless, R.C. 1996, Discovering the Cosmos, (University Science
- Bronowski, J. 1974, The Ascent of Man,
(Little Brown & Co)
- Clayton, D.D. 1983, Principles of Stellar Evolution and
Nucleosynthesis, 2nd Edition (Univ. of Chicago Press).
- Croswell, K. 1995, The Alchemy of the Heavens, (Anchor
- Ferris, T. 1988, Coming of Age in the Milky Way,
- Harrison, E.R. 1981, Cosmology, (Cambridge Univ. Press).
- Hubble, E. 1936, The Realm of the Nebulae, (1982 Reprint,
Yale Univ. Press).
- Morrison, P., & Morrison, P. 1984, The Ring of Truth,
- Osterbrock, D.E. 1989, Astrophysics of Gaseous Nebulae and Active
Galactic Nuclei, (University Science Books).
- Overbye, D. 1992, Lonely Hearts of the Cosmos, (Harper
- Seeds, M. 1997, Foundations of Astronomy 4th Edition.
- Shu, F. 1982, The Physical Universe, (University Science
- Thorne, K.S. 1994, Black Holes & Time Warps, (Norton).
Steven 1979, The First Three Minutes, (Basic Books).
Steven 1993, Dreams of a Final Theory, (Vintage).
... To Be Continued...
- The Space Telescope Science
Institute oversees the operations of the Hubble Space Telescope.
STScI is operated by the Association of Universities for
Research in Astronomy, Inc.
(AURA), under NASA contract
of use page for the full details.
- The National Optical Astronomy Observatories run Kitt Peak,
Cerro Tololo, and the National Solar Observatory, as well as the
U.S. Gemini Project office. NOAO
is operated by the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy
(AURA), Inc. under
cooperative agreement with the National Science
- Anglo-Australian Observatory
- Permission has been granted to include low-resolution digital copies
of astronomical images obtained by astronomers at the
Observatory. Please note the copyrights associated with each
of these images, and respect the
terms under which I am allowed to bring these images to you.
Special Thanks to Coral Cooksley at the AAO for permission to post
I get asked this a lot: below are the sources of the quotes used for the
titles of each of the main lecture units of this course:
- "The Stars in Their Courses"
- Old Testament, Judges 5:20
- "The Starry Dynamo" and "The Machinery of Night"
- Allen Ginsberg, from the opening lines of Howl, 1956.
- "Death & Transfiguration"
- Richard Strauss, title of a symphonic tone poem (Original German:
Tod und Verklarung)
- "Island Universes"
- Alexander von Humboldt, Kosmos, 1845.
- "The Great Ocean of Truth"
- Isaac Newton, from the famous "seashell" quote, cited in
Brewster, Memoirs of Newton, 1855, vol II, Ch. 27
Return to the
Astronomy 162 Main Page
Updated: 2006 January 3 [rwp]
Copyright © Richard W. Pogge, All Rights Reserved.