Astronomy 1142: Black Holes
For more information, download the syllabus.
Downloadable Items (PDF format):
- Instructor: David Weinberg,
Distinguished University Professor and Chair of Astronomy.
- Textbook: Black Holes and Time Warps: Einstein's
Outrageous Legacy, by Kip Thorne.
Slides from lectures:
- Homework assignment 1, due Friday, 9/17.
Solutions handed out on Monday, 9/24.
- Homework assignment 2, due Friday, 10/1.
Solutions handed out on Friday, 10/8.
- Homework assignment 3, due Friday, 11/5.
Solutions handed out on Wednesday, 11/17.
- Optional extra credit assignment,
due Monday, 11/29.
- Homework assignment 4, due Friday, 12/3.
- Manipulating equations. To help you remember
some rules of algebra that you might have forgotten.
- Scientific notation.. Some reminders on scientific
notation and test problems to check that you can use it correctly on your
- First few pages of Einstein's 1905 paper On the Electrodynamics
of Moving Bodies.
- Review Guide for the midterm exam.
- Solutions to the midterm exam were handed out on 10/18 together with
the graded midterms.
- X-ray Iron Lines from a Black Hole Accretion Disk,
handout for the 11/3/21 in-class question.
Videos or images shown in class:
Other links, some to videos, some to informational web sites or images:
Go to David Weinberg's Home Page
Updated: 2021 November 22[dhw]